Wednesday 25 April 2012

WEEK 8

This week I played around with shapes of platforms as I want my design to allow the community to engage and enjoy outdoor spaces, therefore I decided not to include enclosed spaces but instead work with outdoor covered areas that will allow:
  1. Views throughout the entire site
  2. Ease of movement and direction
  3. Cross Ventilation
  4. Easy on the eye
  5. Greenery and nature (undisrubted)
I started off with circles and played around with space arrangements together with locations on the site which would suit my proposal best. After lots of tracing papers and configurations, I decided for better results I need a space approximately halfway through the site which had a big width from the water to the cliff giving me more room to play around with and am currently at a stage where my design looks like big bubbles on a page.

However Davor kindly took some time off his own personal schedule to come in, and look at our work, which was greatly appreciated by everyone especially myself. His comments and feedbacks helped so much where I put myself in someone else's shoes and imagine walking into the space that I've design. Below is a scanned image of my current design.


Lots came to mind when I took my mind out of my designer's shoes and into a user/explorer's shoes, some of the changes needed were:
  1. The circular spaces are too symetrical and will be designed based on ease of movement and stall locations, for a more "flowy" shape.
  2. Vegetation placed more strategically allowing one to take a grass path instead of proposed path, allowing views throughout the whole site especially in and out of spaces inteneded for certain uses, as well as blocking the harsh summer sun.
  3. Stone seating originally designed for the theatre space (reflecting cliff edge and natural ground) can be grass instead, for comfort and aesthetics, as well as multi-functionality - allowing it not only to be used as seating, but anything you desire to make of it.
  4. Stage not flush with cliff, instead dug into the cliff for better aesthetics and celebration of the beauty of the cliff together with its durability.
  5. Water feature added on or behind stage for daily use which can be turned off when not needed (i.e. functions) otherwise adds to the aesthetic effect of the seating and cliff.
  6. Instead of individual roofing structures on every element, I will add a structure that connects the different roofs together, although I have no specific inspiration at the moment, however I will look back at the folie for more ideas.
Stage dug into cliff instead of flush finish

Stage, seating and water feature


No comments:

Post a Comment