Monday 11 June 2012

Amenities

A area as such needs a space for amenities, such as public rest rooms and storage. I had originally placed a box to cater for these spaces, however, I never actually designed these spaces, will they even fit into that box? I therefore started looking more into it. How many restrooms would I need? Do I provide a disabled one as well? How big does the storage space need to be and what would it store?

Due to a lot of curvature and "flowy" spaces already on the proposed site, I decided to keep this space simple (also for financial reasons), it isn't anything grand however would need to function and be aesthetically pleasing due to it's approximation to the Grand stage. I needed to know what exactly I wanted this space to represent or include before I could design something, otherwise, I would end up with a box AGAIN, and try to force it into the design.

I took a closer look at how one would access this space, would they need to go around the back? Is there one main entrance with seperate entries for different genders? Does the cliffe even matter here?


After drawing up bubble diagrams and sketches on how I want this space to work, I ended up with the following design. Although it is used for amenities, I still want the users to experience being within the cliffe - if not touch it! I therefore decided that instead of it sticking out infront of the cliffe, why not make it comiflage? I dug into the cliffe, not too much, inserted the shapes I wanted, and used materials on the exterior to match the building with the cliffe.
Since the storage space will only cater for gardening tools as well as stalls that can be folded back, the space is designed to cater for that and the occassional dress-up of performance personels. This space can only be accessed once keys are retrieved from council, therefore excluding general public. And due to its approximation to the stage, I decided to leave my back-stage access, where one can change or relax before getting up on stage for their performance, this way being hidden within the cliffe. (no back service to be seen). Which is also why I decided to hide the storage doors from being seen when at the stage area (not very aesthetically pleasing, and doesn't have to be). My design for this proposed area is as shown below.

No comments:

Post a Comment