Friday 15 June 2012

Trees + Materials

After playing around with the location of trees which I strategically placed to:
  • Prevent/re-direct unwanted winds
  • Sun penetration, shading to certain areas
  • Providing privacy for spaces
  • Difference in heights and width
  • Blockage of certain views from certain points, influencing one to explore

Sketch of breeze through a tree

Image of shaded site/roof plan with stalls

I realised that my design still lacks that directional paths, that would influence one to enter different parts of the site and have a journey through it. It's not so obvious in a way that I would prefer. Why would a user come off the terminal and walk all the way up to my stage instead of follow the main bike/ped. path to their intended location? How can I attract people to explore the different beauties on the site that has taken me a fair bit of time to accomplish?

It is then, after more research and concentration and focus into these numerous garden designs and pathways that I realised, I do not need a grand sign or directly fixed paths forcing one to be directed. The use of materials, colours and textures really benefit my design, and that is why I decided to change the main path leading into the stage's materials. I decided to put a 'red carpet' as Davor called it, leading one into the stage area represented however through timber. Whereas other paths are of polished/rough concrete. Due to wanting to design a disable-friendly site, my choice of sizes and textures where very important. I also decided to break one of the paths into pads, and also the seating areas don't have to be divided through walls, that's why I eliminated walls in the first place, I wanted to prove that you can divide and bind a space through the use of materials/textures, light/shadow etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment